Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Define Divine


If thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought. -George Orwell

What exactly are we analyzing? What are we defending and justifying? Or denying and trying to prove as “wrong”? Some say “God”. Some say “A Supreme “Being”, “Higher Power(s)”, a deity, a king, a lord, omnipresent, omnipotent, eternity… When we refer to God, we all mean something slightly different. Yes, there are guidelines: God is the beginning, all powerful, the law, redeeming, a truth we are struggling to find or deny. Pantheism states that God is everywhere and manifests in all things. The coining of the word “God” could be an attempt to explain something inexplicable. When we try to define and name such extreme thoughts and possibilities, ones which we cannot express thoroughly because they are beyond ourselves, we limit our own comprehension of such thoughts, ideas, and possibilities. Spoken and written language can hinder one’s understanding of things that can only be felt and thought. Some ideas are meant to be out of our complete grasp and expression. There are some things maybe we aren’t meant to be able to explain because they are so great. Why can’t humans accept that? If a person is secure in his or her beliefs, does it really matter whether or not they are “right” or “wrong”? Apply logic and evidence but faith will outweigh both whether that faith is in God, the universe, oneself or simply happiness. Call that stubborn or selfish if you wish. As an individual, our words can only take us and express our beliefs so far. Others may take what they wish from our words and justifications but in the end, whether our beliefs were expressed the right way will not matter; the fact that we felt them will. Whether or not our beliefs hold true “ultimately” will not matter; we are not ultimate. We are microscopic in the grand scheme of things and our limitations do not make us inferior; they make us unique.

As a Christian, I am not supposed to doubt or question. But I am not ashamed to say that I do. I doubt the validity in what I have been taught at times. I doubt that one word (God, even with all its components) can represent everything I feel I live my life for. I doubt that knowing the entire "ultimate truth" (if it exists, which I doubt) would bring us as much satisfaction as we think. Being as all knowing as God would defeat the purpose of our lives. And whether it is simply to comfort myself in believing that there's a purpose for our existence, or to attempt to explain and acquire knowledge about that which I did not create, I still believe in God in the sense of the word that is different to many. The pantheist in me believes that God is everywhere and his name is an attempt and solidifying something intangible despite evidence for or against. Until we can concretely define divine, I doubt anyone will ever agree completely on the concept never mind prove it...and I also that that's okay.

4 comments:

M. R. Burgos said...

I like your post, very well written. It sounds like your beliefs are founded in the relative. You have called yourself a Christian, which I am a little perplexed by. It seems like your headed to the "all roads lead to the same destination," theology. I think that this concept is both convient and a sure way to justify ones lifestyle through relativism.
Forgive me, but I am wondering if you are a Christian in all but name? Here is the litmus test: Have you surrenderd your life to Jesus Christ? Have You recognized your sin nature before God and His sacrifice on the cross to pay for your sins? Have you dropped the ways of this world and picked up the ways of faith which are in His word? Are you seeped yourself in the Word of God and in prayer? Have you produce fruit in keeping with repentance and salvation? (for example: spreading the gospel, fighting against the flesh, serving others for God, etc)
If you have, then I'll see you on that great day.
About your comment, that your not supposed to doubt or question. God's word tells us that we should seek Him with all our heart, spirit, and mind. Surley this includes His character and His ideals as well. Doubting is a product of, as you say "imperfection" or sin nature. Seek Him in His word and He will reveal Himself to you.

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

I think you're right: it's not any kind of "ultimate" truth we generally seek, but that which we can claim is true in light of the best evidence available to us any any point in time.

Samantha Chase said...

servent of the most high- It is great that you are as confident and secure in your beliefs but I can only take my own path towards my own. Without doubting, there'd be no questioning, and without questioning, there would be no growth. Thank you for your input recently though. Stick around if you want to hear about morals.

Professor DJ- With your last comment, I agree.

M. R. Burgos said...

Forgive me if I seemed to upfront. I am not condemning seeking, or doubting. However, my post was to inquire about just that; doubting implies that a previous decision has been achieved and that one is now questioning that decision. Whereas seeking implies that no decision has been made. Your previous statement gave me the impression that you have indeed decided and are in doubt. However the remainder of your posts imply that you have been and always will be seeking. As I said, I am a little perplexed.