Saturday, May 3, 2008

Of the Beautiful and Sublime

Since the beginning of the semester, my views haven't so much changed as they have strengthened. Yet I have also learned to take into account views and beliefs that are in opposition to my own. The book I am nearing the end of is Kant's "Of the Beautiful and Sublime". This book outlines the distinct objective views of each along with the feelings that they evoke based upon the gender and culture of the observer. I still stand firm in believing in constructivism (although NOT radically, for I do acknowledge an objective world, however created, of which we have little or no control over) and my belief in perception has strengthened. Kant's book acknowledges the undeniable similarities in aesthetic objects while still justifying different perceptions. This ability is rare and classifies a good philosopher. Constructing reality, beliefs, knowledge, truth, education, and understanding is difficult and must be somewhat unbiased while still taking into account fact, cultural, gender-based, experience-based, and other influences.

No comments: